Gateway Theatre is a welcoming, inclusive, culturally diverse professional theatre for Metro Vancouver audiences and communities, producing fresh, vital, and relevant work that connects us to each other and to the world around us. The venue, located in the heart of Richmond and just minutes away from Canada Line (Brighouse Station), features a 520-seat MainStage, an 89-seat Studio B, and a sprung-floor rehearsal studio. Gateway Theatre runs the Gateway Academy, offering year-round theatre education taught by professional artists for youth ages 6-18. In addition, opportunities for venue rentals are available.
Gateway Theatre is managed and operated by the Richmond Gateway Theatre Society, a registered charity and not-for-profit organization incorporated in 1982, and is generously supported by the City of Richmond.
This season, we are proud to offer you an eclectic and dazzling mix of the classic and the contemporary that takes you from the West Coast of Canada to Quebec, through Ontario, and right to the village of Bedford Falls. Join us for the ride!
Les Belles-Soeurs – By Michel Tremblay, translated by John Van Burek (Sept 27 – Oct 6, 2018)
Empire of the Son – By Tetsuro Shigematsu (Nov 8 – 17, 2018)
It’s a Wonderful Life – A new musical adaptation by Peter Jorgensen; arrangements & orchestrations by Nico Rhodes (Dec 6 – 31, 2018)
Yoga Play – By Dipika Guha (Feb 7 – 16, 2019)
Gross Misconduct – By Meghan Gardiner (Mar 14 – 23, 2019)
GLORY – By Tracey Power (Apr 4 -13, 2019)
- Phone Number (admin):
- Phone Number (ticketing): 604-270-1812
- Fax Number: 604-247-4995
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Year Founded: 1982
- Season Starts: September
- Season Ends: April
- Affiliations & Memberships (other than PACT): BC Alliance for Arts and Culture, Greater Vancouver Professional Theatre Alliance
Description of work:
The Signature Series (four MainStage and two Studio shows) offers award-winning plays that are authentic, relevant and transformative, bringing stories from across Canada and around the world to Lower Mainland audiences. In recent years, the Series has included co-productions with companies such as Persephone Theatre, Western Canada Theatre, Thousand Islands Playhouse, Vertigo Theatre, Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre, and Chemainus Theatre Festival.
Festivals & Special Events:
The Pacific Festival was launched in 2014 to reflect the rich diversity of our community and act as a hub for artistic exchange with the Pacific Rim. The program presents high-quality contemporary theatre in Cantonese and Mandarin with English and Chinese surtitles.
- EDUCATION - Gateway Academy, established in 1991, offers year-round acting, musical theatre, and performance training classes for youth aged 6–18. Professional actors, directors, playwrights and choreographers are engaged as instructors, teaching skills that enrich students in performance and in life.
- FACILITY RENTAL - Many community and visiting producers also use Gateway Theatre for performances and events. These rental activities are supported and mentored, where needed, by the professional staff. The 520-seat MainStage and 89-seat Studio B are available as performance spaces. Studio A and our beautiful lobbies are available for meetings and receptions.
- Camilla TibbsExecutive Director
- Jovanni SyArtistic Director
- Number of Mainspace seats: 520
- Number of Studio seats: 89
- Rehersal space: Yes
- Other space: Yes
Venue rental Information:Venue rentals: yes
- Venue rental contact name: Samara Van Nostrand
- Venue rental contact title: Associate Manager
- Venue rental contact phone: 604-247-4955
- Venue rental contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org