2b theatre company is celebrated at home and across Canada as a driving artistic voice that creates vital theatre for the world stage.
2b theatre company strives to stimulate the mind and awaken the spirit by producing theatre that is innovative and challenging. We create, produce, present, and tour original work nationally and internationally. Our work is part of the evolution of contemporary theatre aesthetics. We are also an incubator, central to a thriving national theatre community, that offers a range of creation, performance, and production opportunities for arts professionals from our region and beyond.
Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, 2b theatre company is mandated to:
- Create, develop and produce original theatre
- Present work in its home community
- Tour work nationally and internationally
- Work collaboratively with creating and performing artists, designers and production staff to develop work, support individual growth, and evolve the art form
- Develop collaborative relationships with presenting, producing, and education partners
- Engage in education and internship activity to develop artistic, production, design and administrative personnel
- Undertake community outreach activity and partnerships
- Build artistic, social and business networks that engage in debate, discussion and exploration of a range of creative and social issues
- Structure and directions that are artistically driven and focused
- Exploration and experimentation
- Excellence in all we do
- Collaboration, both internal and external
- Refinement and long-term development of work
- Contribution to the elevation of professionalism in the sector
- Dialogue, internal and external, on issues that address individual and public concerns
- Sharing our ideas and creations
- Leadership in the development of Nova Scotia’s artistic community
January 22 - February 10 2019
A 2b theatre company and Neptune Theatre co-production in association with Obsidian Theatre
Written by Shauntay Grant, directed by Anthony Black
Set in a rural African Nova Scotian community, The Bridge is the story of two brothers pulled apart by 20 years of secrecy, sin, and shame. The past haunts the present in this gospel infused tale. A collaboration with Halifax’s well known past poet laureate. Comedic and serious, light and introspective, The Bridge is an exploration of faith, family, and forgiveness.
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Year Founded: 1999
- Season Starts: January
- Season Ends: January
- Theatre Tours: Yes
- Tour Locations:
- Engagement Contracts:
- Affiliations & Memberships (other than PACT): Theatre Nova Scotia, The Bus Stop Theatre Cooperative
Description of work:
2b creates works that explore the world around us, and our experience of what it means to be. We examine complex themes and are driven to render them in novel ways that engage both new and artistically seasoned audiences.
At the core of every theatrical event there is a unique and particular interaction between audience and performance. With each project we re-examine this relationship, considering what theatrical form best fits the content. The result is an eclectic body of work that demonstrates an ongoing interest in formal innovation and a highly considered experience for audiences. Our creations include: a rock and roll concept album for the stage about the dangers of repression and the transformative powers of music and wine (The God That Comes); a live action existentialist graphic novel about the search for meaning in a seemingly random universe (When it Rains); a klezmer/folk musical about Jewish refugees whose performers emerge from a shipping container set (Old Stock: A Refugee Love Story); and an elegiac duet for violinist and storyteller about artistic aspiration and regret (One Discordant Violin).
We’re often the primary creators of new development projects, but also commission and collaborate with noteworthy Canadian creators (Hannah Moscovitch, Shauntay Grant, Michael Mackenzie, Hawksley Workman, Ben Caplan). With a flexible development cycle that generally spans 3-4 years and includes multiple workshops, we commit substantial time and resource to the development of each project to allow the shows to achieve their highest artistic potential.
- Christian BarryArtistic Co-Director
- Anthony BlackArtistic Co-Director
- Rebecca DesmaraisTour Producer
- Karen GrossProducer
- Colleen MacIsaacManaging Director